Office Specialist 2 (Solid Waste Information Assistant)
Salary $29,544.00 - $41,376.00 Annually$2,462.00 - $3,448.00 Monthly $29,544.00 - $41,376.00 Annually
Environmental Quality - Environmental Solutions Division
Closing 1/9/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Department of Environmental Quality's mission is to be a leader in restoring, maintaining and enhancing the quality of Oregon's air, land and water. As a regulatory agency whose job is to protect the quality of Oregon's environment, DEQ works collaboratively with Oregonians for a healthy, sustainable environment.
The Materials Management section plans and implements policies and programs to reduce impacts of materials and products throughout their full life cycle, from design and production through distribution, consumption and use and management at end-of-life. The section establishes goals and measures; supports and performs research; develops and implements incentive, product stewardship, waste reduction and waste management programs; provides education and information; and collaborates with diverse public and private partners.
DEQ's Materials Management Program is recruiting to fill a full-time Office Specialist 2 position to provide administrative support for this vital program; including scheduling and supporting meetings, managing records, gathering information and preparing reports, and supporting education programs. The position is located in Portland, OR.
The pool of qualified applicants established from this announcement may be used to fill future vacancies, both limited duration and permanent, and for other DEQ office locations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to manager and other staff in the section.
- Assist manager in maintaining calendar.
- Coordinate all aspects of meetings; scheduling and logistics; supply and set up meeting rooms and equipment; take and write meeting minutes; maintain mailing lists.
- Provide support to managers and staff on use of software, computers, sound systems, and other equipment, including set up and operations for teleconferencing, videoconferencing and webinars.
- Enter data into databases and provide reports from databases.
- Develop spreadsheets, format Power Point and other presentations and provide other similar technical services for section staff.
- Draft and format documents; proofread and edit material; photocopy and fax.
- Gather, analyze and report information to support program performance measures and other projects.
- Monitor contract performance and review invoices.
- Maintain records management system for the section and manage records and retention schedules.
- Order, track and reconcile purchases of supplies and services using purchase requisitions and state purchasing credit card.
- Answer inquiries and provide information about multiple program and services.
- Respond to requests for records and other information.
- Track staff leaves and review time sheets for accuracy
Primarily an office position with heavy use of computers and other office equipment. Occasional travel to support other Materials Management staff at meetings, to attend trainings or to conduct research. Interacts with other staff and the public. Some standing and lifting of files required daily.
Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - To be considered a qualified applicant you must meet the following criteria:
- Two years of general clerical experience, one year of which included typing, word processing, or other experience generating documents; OR
- An Associate's degree in Office Occupations or Office Technology; OR
- Graduation from a private school of business with a Certificate in Office Occupations or Office Technology and one year of general clerical experience.
College courses in Office Occupations or Office Technology will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Agencies may supplement the minimum qualifications to require specific knowledge and skills as specified in the Classification Specification.
Note: To receive credit for all required/related coursework, an attached copy of transcripts is required.
REQUESTED SKILLS - Preference may be given to applicants who can demonstrate knowledge or experience in the following areas:
- Performing a variety of clerical functions at a technical or secretarial support level in an office.
- Communicating orally and in writing with a variety of people answering questions and gathering and exchanging information.
- Organizing work efficiently and exercising independent judgment in making appropriate decisions concerning work methods.
- Applying specific, well defined rules, regulations, policies and procedures to work performed.
- Ability to review technical forms or information for compliance with established criteria.
- Ability to gather and organize information or data and prepare reports.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of agency records.
- General knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization, sentence structure and arithmetic.
Application Screening: In order to evaluate your experience as it relates to this position, we need detailed responses to the supplemental questions. Please respond completely in the space provided. Responses to the supplemental questions will be considered when determining which applicants, among those who meet the minimum qualifications, will be invited to interview. Failure to respond to each question in the space provided for that question may result in disqualification of your application.
Your application and application materials must be consistent and thorough in order to be considered. If the information contained in your answers to each of the supplemental questions is not reflected in your work history, your application may be removed from consideration. A cover letter and/or resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the work history section or answers to the supplemental questions.
Please note that your responses may also be evaluated for grammar, spelling and punctuation.
To apply for this position, follow the "Apply" link above to complete the Oregon Employment Application online. All application materials must be received by the closing date/time posted.
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions and attach any required documents.
Information in your application, as well as responses to the supplemental questions, will be reviewed to determine candidates who qualify and whose experience best matches the requested skills.
Cover Letter - A cover letter explaining your interest in this position and summarizing your relevant skills and experience is required. If a cover letter is not submitted your application may be removed from consideration.
To receive credit for higher education coursework, transcripts (official or unofficial) must be submitted at the time of application. Note: To protect your confidential information, please redact (black out) your social security number on all transcripts before attaching to your application.
Salary: The Department of Environmental Quality's practice is to begin employees at the first pay step. However, a higher starting pay rate may be considered, budget permitting, depending upon the applicant's work history and current total compensation (salary/benefits/retirement).
Union: This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), Local 3336.
The State of Oregon requires all applicants provide an email address. If you do not currently have an e-mail address, please refer to our applicant Frequently Asked Questions page for more info. The State of Oregon does not endorse any particular provider. For your convenience, here is a link to the page.
The Department of Environmental Quality is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. DEQ welcomes applications from women, veterans, people of color, and individuals with disabilities.
If you have a disability or otherwise require assistance, you may contact us at:
Department of Environmental Quality
Human Resources Office
700 NE Multnomah St
Portland, OR 97232