Five Frequent Recycling Fallacies That Confuse Folks
You know the basics: paper, plastic and metal together in the recycling cart; glass on the side. But some items just don’t seem to fit nicely in those categories. Recyclers count on us to send them clean materials so they can turn them back into new products.
So getting it right is important. Here are 5 items we Master Recyclers hear about all the time and what to do with them.
- Receive collection-day reminders by phone, email or text.
- Look up your garbage and recycling schedule.
- Print your collection calendar at home.
- Sync your collection schedule with your digital calendar.
- Get notified about schedule changes due to weather and holidays.
- Look up how to recycle or dispose of items.
- Get information on your mobile devices through the Garbage and Recycling Day app (Apple and Android).
Tell your friends to join Now
Calling All Handy Master Recyclers!
The Repair Café and Repair Fair movement is on the rise in the Metro region and we are always looking for fixers. You can earn Master Recycler hours for volunteering.
Spring Westside Master Recycler Pub
Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce, 2417 Pacific Ave
Thursday, May 19 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Share food and beverages with fellow Master Recyclers and County staff. Hear from Master Recycler and owner of Rubbish Works, Betty Benson, about how she started and runs her own business. Play recycler jeopardy and recognize volunteer accomplishments.
This is part of a quarterly series of events for Master Recycler who work, live or play on the Westside. Please RSVP.
Master Recycler Tabling Training and Refresher Night for everyone
Metro 600 NE Grand, Room 370
June 2, 5:30-7 PM
Feeling a little rusty? Want a little more practice? Or perhaps you want to explore a new table you haven’t volunteered with before.
Get hands-on training for the Portland CAN: Save Food, Gresham and Washington County Eat Smart, Waste Less kits and the Resourceful PDX kit.
Regional program coordinators will lead the training. Refreshments will be provided!
RSVP: Bill Beamer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to Alicen Well (Class 59) for becoming a Certified Master Recycler!
Being from Welches, Alicen did lots of cool stuff in the most eastern parts of our region. She started recycling program at her workplace, Whispering Woods Lodge. She staffed a booth on an extremely hot day at the Troutdale Summer Fest and helped with Mt Hood Green Scene activities. Thank you Alicen!
Inspire and be the change! Please help our community with their sustainability plans and events. Repair fairs, food waste preventing, recycling, sustainable consumption, community cleanups -- There are activities enough for everyone this coming month.
May Volunteer Opportunities (See the Calendar)
- Wednesdays now through Sept Forest Grove Farmers Market Waste Center
- Saturdays May and June Gresham FM (Eat Smart, Waste Less table)
- pick your date May 1-10 Fuller Commons Knock n Talk, Milwaukie
- Wednesday May 4 Forest Grove Farmers Market (Washington County New Compost Program)
- Friday May 6 Scott ES PTA Carnival (Recycling Wheel Routlette), NE Portland
- Saturday May 7 Hillsboro FM (Eat Smart, Waste Less Challenge)
- Saturday May 7 King Neighborhood Cleanup, NE Portland
- Saturday May 7 SWNI Neighborhood Cleanup (Community Warehouse truck), SW Portland
- Tuesday May 10, PCC Rock Creek (Eat Smart, Waste Less Presentation), HIllsboro
- Saturday May 14 Beaverton Public Works Fair (Recycling Information Table)
- Saturday May 14 Concordia Neighborhood Cleanup, NE Portland
- Saturday May 14 Hillsboro Downtown Market (Recycling Info table)
- Saturday May 14 North Plains Big Spring Clean
- Saturday May 14 St Johns Bizarre (Portland CAN: Save Your Food), N Portland
- Sunday May 15 Sunday Parkways (Resourceful PDX), E Portland
- Wednesday May 18 Bethany Farmers Market (Eat Smart, Waste Less)
- Saturday May 21 Laurelhurst Neighborhood Cleanup (Community Warehouse truck), SE Portland
- Saturday May 21 Repair Fair, Beaverton
- Sunday May 22 Orenco Famers Market (Eat Smart, Waste Less)
- Wednesday May 25 Senior Health and Vitality Fair (Recycling) Happy Valley
- Wednesday May 25 Tuality Employee Lunch (Eat Smart, Waste Less), Hillsboro
- Wednesday May 25 Creekside Woods Resident Potluck (Greener Cleaner Presentation), Willsonville.
- Saturday May 28 Immigrant Refugee Community Organization Spring Fair (Portland CAN: Save Your Food) E Portland
- Sunday May 29 Orenco Farmers Market (Recycing info table), Hillsboro
June Opportunities (See the Calendar)
- Friday and Saturday June 4 and 5 Rock the Block (Eat Smart, Waste Less table) Gresham
- Saturday June 5 Hillsboro Cleanup
- Sunday June 6 King Farmers Market (Portland CAN: Save Your Food) NE Portland
Sustainable Oregon 2016
DoubleTree Hotel, 1000 NE Multnomah St, Portland
Wednesday June 8 to Friday June 10
Sustainable Oregon is a three-day interactive learning experience featuring cutting-edge educational sessions and workshops, local and national experts and speakers, facility tours, valuable networking opportunities, and an awards program celebrating the achievements of Oregon’s recycling, reuse, and waste reduction businesses and leaders. It will be located for the first time in history in Portland!
For more information visit AOR online.
Lots of exciting jobs listings with deadlines coming up:
- BPS Solid Waste & Recycling Assistant Program Specialist
- Metro Solid Waste Information and Analysis Manager
- Rebuilding Center Deconstruction Manager
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore Salvage Service Manager
- and more
for more visit Master Recycler Job Board.
Contributions to this month's newsletter include J Lauren Norris, Alicia Polacok and Wing Grabowski.