Senior Administrative Specialist
Salary $3,946.00 - $6,075.00 Monthly
Location 1900 SW 4th Ave, OR
Job Type Regular
Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
Job Number 2018-00199
Closing 3/23/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
The Senior Administrative Specialist assists in the coordination and implementation of event logistics for Fix-it Fairs including staffing the day of the event, project tracking, evaluation and reporting, online vendor application administration, database maintenance, procurement of services, invoice record keeping and answering questions. The position also supports outreach and involvement program implementation for sustainability programs including but not limit to the Master Recycler Program, Community Collection Events, Climate Action Now, Be Cart Smart and Resourceful PDX campaigns. Assistance to these programs includes maintaining and preparing outreach materials, supplies and displays. Also includes researching and making recommendations on supplies and ordering them. Database development and maintenance, implementing online application programs and posting content on the web. Other duties, including assisting manager, and staff in budget management including processing invoices, maintaining filing and archiving documentation, data management and reporting, making recommendations for efficiencies in reporting and procurement process. Assistance in the creation of outgoing communication materials and emails with community partners. This position will include working some evening and weekends and performing duties at events that include long-term standing and regular lifting and loading of materials that weigh between 25-50 pounds.
All of the following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge and experience applying the methods and techniques in public outreach and involvement including events, press, written and oral communications, marketing and public relations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including customer service, email communications and delivering technical information to a non-technical audience and developing audience appropriate messages.
- Ability and experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database and other standard software to prepare a variety of routine to moderately complex documents and materials.
- Knowledge of project planning and implementation, including work plan development, tracking and evaluation.
- Ability to organize your own work and carry out assignments reliably, independently and with appropriate attention to detail, while managing multiple and changing priorities and deadlines.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
Applicants must submit a professional résumé and responses to the attached supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
Your résumé and responses to the attached supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained, which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- It is recommended that your résumé not exceed a total of two (2) pages.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted online no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.
Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below no later than the closing date of this announcement.
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Human Resources Analyst
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
City of Portland
1120 SW 5th Ave, 404
Portland, Oregon, 97204.