Salary $25.44 - $34.10 Hourly
Location 12725 Millikan Way Beaverton, OR
Job Type Full time
Department Mayor's Office
Job Number FY17/18-00151
Closing 1/26/2018 4:30 PM Pacific
The City of Beaverton is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual to develop and coordinate business-focused outreach strategies to increase participation in Beaverton's commercial organics program. The position requires the ability to discuss the environmental and financial benefits of food waste prevention, donation, and/or composting with business owners and employees, property managers and haulers. A successful candidate will have a strong background in business outreach or sales, with experience in commercial organics, recycling, waste prevention or business sustainability programs.
The Coordinator works under the general supervision of a senior program manager in the Mayor's Office and does not directly manage any staff positions. It is a full-time (40 hours/week) grant funded position, with funding renewed annually, anticipated (but not guaranteed) for five years. The classification title for this position is Program Coordinator.
In addition to the application, a cover letter is required.
- Program Coordination (approximately 50% of time):
- Develop outreach, education, marketing and communication strategies for recruiting businesses to participate in Beaverton's Commercial Organics program.
- Act as lead worker to one outreach specialist; assign and monitor work; provide advice and guidance when problem solving.
- Assist with the evaluation of programs and initiatives by tracking progress, recording and analyzing metrics/data and reporting results.
- Recommend and implement program and policy improvements.
- Develop work plans, timelines and resource allocations for assigned projects and grant funding. Monitor progress to ensure objectives are met.
- Collaborate with regional and local governments to develop and share effective outreach strategies.
- Develop and produce educational materials for trainings, public involvement activities and program focused events.
- Coordinate with sustainability and recycling program staff to ensure integrated program development and outreach.
- Business Recruitment & Training (50% of time):
- Build and maintain relationships with targeted businesses throughout program recruitment and service set-up.
- Conduct on-site business waste assessments to recommend service levels.
- Interpret and explain local, regional and state regulations and technical policies with clarity.
- Drive to sites and train employees to provide technical assistance.
- Act as main point of contact for trouble shooting service challenges that may arise.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service through professional and courteous behavior and creative problem resolution.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's degree in business/marketing, sustainability, environmental studies or a related field.
- Two years' experience in business outreach program coordination.
- OR Associate's degree in business/marketing, sustainability studies or a related field with three years of experience in business outreach program coordination.
- OR Master's degree in business/marketing, sustainability studies or a related field with one year of experience in business outreach program coordination.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to meet the city's driving standards.
- Knowledge of business administration practices and decision making.
- Experience in social marketing, community outreach and project management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; including making presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Experience providing excellent internal and external customer service.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office Suite, data management and evaluating program outcomes.
- Ability to pass reference and background check.
Salary Range: $25.44-$34.10 per hour
Starting salary will be determined depending on relevant work experience. The city pays the full retirement contribution to PERS; provides employees with an opportunity to participate in a deferred compensation retirement plan; and offers excellent health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. The city also has available a tuition reimbursement program and a public service loan forgiveness program.
Agency City of Beaverton
12725 SW Millikan Way
PO Box 4755
Beaverton, Oregon, 97005.