350PDX is building a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. We are a relatively young, dynamic, volunteer-driven grassroots organization with thousands of supporters that regularly engages hundreds of people to volunteer and/or take action.
Our work is significant — the nation and world need compelling examples of communities that are addressing climate disruption head-on through bold and creative measures that bring diverse people together at a time of divisiveness and insufficient state and federal action.
350PDX seeks a new Executive Director to lead our organization as we move into our next phase of growth. 350PDX was founded in 2013 and has grown rapidly to become a leader in local and regional climate activism. We view everyone (volunteers, board, and staff) in 350PDX as a climate justice activist. We are looking for someone to help us in our transition to a mature organization as we pursue climate justice. This leader will have primary responsibility for the performance of the organization. They will also work in partnership with all activists to set a plan to achieve the cultural and structural goals of the organization as we move towards more inclusive and distributed leadership. We anticipate that the responsibilities of this role could shift in the future as part of this process.
Job Type: 1.0 FTE, starting salary range of $53,000 to $60,000
Benefits include: generous PTO, flexible work hours, wellness stipend
- Lead a shift in organizational culture to help us better live our values
- Cultivate and manage financial resources to support the organization
- Collaboratively develop and implement a strategic plan to achieve the goals of the organization
- Oversee core operational and administrative functions (e.g. operations, staff management/development, volunteer management)
- Increase skills and commitment among all activists to achieve our goals
- Leadership skills of emotional intelligence, ability to influence, humility, clear communication, team building, and presence
- Ability to lead an organization through a period of cultural and structural change
- Ability to delegate responsibilities and leadership while also maintaining a strong culture of accountability
- Ability to lead collaborative development of organizational strategies to achieve our goals
- Skilled in facilitating open and safe conversations where all perspectives can be heard and appreciated, and where conflict is resolved in a healthy way
- Modeling a culture of respect, transparency, open communication and action
- Culturally competent and responsive, with an understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures and communities
- Demonstrated interest, understanding, and commitment to climate justice
- Detail oriented, with strong organization and project management skills
- Ability to plan effectively, meet deadlines, and coordinate others’ involvement within a dynamic and fast-paced setting
At least one of the following qualifications is required and all are desirable:
- Leadership experience in the nonprofit sector
- Experience leading fund development, including donor campaigns and major donor cultivation, events, sponsorships, and grant-seeking
- Experience managing grants and contracts
- Demonstrated success in managing human resources, and supporting employees to achieve results and reach professional development goals with work/life balance
- Competency and experience in financial management and budgeting
- Demonstrated skills in cultivating strong, collaborative partnerships and coalitions
- Experience leading strategic planning
- Proven ability to develop and implement successful programs and/or campaigns, conduct program/campaign evaluations, and generate compelling reports
Please email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter, outlining your skills, experience and motivation for the position. Use the subject line “Executive Director” when applying. Please limit your resume and cover letter to a maximum of 2 pages each. If you have questions about this position, please submit them by email to the address above. Applications received by August 20th will be given priority consideration.
350PDX is committed to being an inclusive and collaborative group which values bringing a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do. We try to build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of communities on the frontlines of climate change are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
If you have suggestions for us, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.