$25.44 - $34.10 Hourly
12725 Millikan Way Beaverton, OR
4/23/2018 4:30 PM Pacific
The City of Beaverton is seeking a highly motivated individual to coordinate the city's Sustainability Program. The position requires the ability to discuss sustainability (including environmental, economic, and equity) with city staff, the business community and general public in a professional and courteous manner.
The position will coordinate efforts to prioritize sustainability projects and create a unified strategy to reduce the city's carbon footprint and adapt to a changing climate. Program components may include: climate mitigation and adaptation, accounting and reporting of greenhouse gases, natural resource management and conservation (energy, water, and land), reducing household consumption, transportation choices and the built environment.
The job may have occasional responsibility to coordinate the work of interns or temporary program staff. The position is a full-time position, primarily during standard office hours, with occasional evening and weekend event work.
In addition to the application, a cover letter is required. Applicants will not be considered if a cover letter is not submitted with the job application.
- Provide vision and leadership in the implementation of the city's soon-to-be-adopted Climate Action Plan and Sustainability Plan, track and measure progress and coordinate future updates to these plans.
- Develop and implement outreach and communication strategies to engage staff, businesses and residents related to sustainability, climate, and energy.
- Collaborate with the city recycling and solid waste program, and other city staff, for integrated program development and outreach.
- Create presentations for staff and citizens on programs, policies, or other sustainability efforts.
- Assist departments in identifying and implementing best practices in sustainable operations by acting as a resource to and directing staff activities with the public, city departments and other organizations on sustainability programs and policies.
- Serve as liaison between groups as required, attending and facilitating meetings.
- Increase awareness of sustainability initiatives, through participation in civic, neighborhood or professional group activities.
- Drive to various businesses to perform outreach and education work
- Support and respect diversity in the workplace.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's degree in sustainability, natural resource management, renewable energy, environmental studies or a related field.
- Two years of experience in sustainability and/or climate action planning, with emphasis on outreach to and working with individuals and groups/businesses.
- OR Associate's degree in sustainability, natural resource management, renewable energy, environmental studies or a related field and four years of experience in sustainability, with emphasis on outreach to and working with individuals and groups/businesses.
- Technical knowledge of policy and sustainability best practices in areas including: green purchasing, energy efficiency and conservation, materials management, natural resource management, green building, low impact development, greenhouse gas emissions reduction, climate change and renewable energy.
- Experience and skill at presenting scientific and/or complex data in creative ways.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; including making presentations to a variety of audiences throughout the community.
- Ability to identify, analyze and problem solve, assisting departments in incorporating sustainable practices into the organization.
- Experience in social marketing, community outreach and project management.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to meet the city's driving standards.
- Ability to pass reference and background check.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office Suite, data management and evaluating program outcomes.
- Master's degree in sustainability, natural resource management, sustainable development, renewable energy, environmental studies or a related field.
- Certified Green Building Professional, Certified Climate Change Professional, LEED Accreditation, or the equivalent certification.
- Knowledge and experience working in local government on policy and program development, particularly related to sustainability, climate action, and energy.
- Experience in, or technical knowledge of, GHG emissions inventories, climate mitigation and adaptation planning, and strategic energy management.
Salary Range: $25.44-$34.10 per hour
Starting salary will be determined depending on relevant work experience. The city pays the full retirement contribution to PERS; provides employees with an opportunity to participate in a deferred compensation retirement plan; and offers excellent health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. The city also has available a tuition reimbursement program and a public service loan forgiveness program. In addition to hourly wage, 4% bilingual pay may be available.
City of Beaverton
12725 SW Millikan Way
PO Box 4755
Beaverton, Oregon, 97005