Salary $48,734.40 - $59,217.60 Annually
Location Hillsboro, OR
Job Type Full Time
Department Health & Human Services
Job Number 2018-90
Closing 4/29/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Do you have an affinity for multi-tasking in a dynamic environment and performing a variety of administrative duties efficiently and independently? Do you desire to serve as a specialist and technical resource for projects related to the regulatory responsibilities of the Solid Waste & Recycling Division? If so, Come Lead with Us by joining the County's Solid Waste & Recycling Division within the Health and Human Services Department as a Program Specialist.
The Program Specialist provides education and information on Washington County's recycling programs; coordinates and assists the code enforcement program to ensure compliance with Washington County Code; state statutes, Solid Waste & Recycling Administrative Rules, and Metro solid waste codes. Also the Program Specialist interacts with the public in a professional manner while working to resolve situations that frequently involves conflict.
Washington County offers employees a collaborative culture, work-life balance, and a comprehensive benefits package. Working within Washington County provides daily opportunities to serve and build communities now and into the future. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
1. Provides information to the public or other employees by phone, email, or in person to ensure an understanding the County rules, regulations, or functions; explains procedures according to department guidelines or refers clients to other departments or local governments; refers residents to recycling, donation and disposal facilities.
2. Primary intake function for resident complaints; directs callers to complaint forms; inputs, assigns, and codes new and existing accumulation, noise, and nuisance Permits Plus or Accela Case Records.
3. Coordinates and assists the code enforcement program to ensure compliance with Washington County Code; state statutes, Solid Waste & Recycling Administrative Rules, and Metro solid waste codes.
4. Monitors program statistics and data from the Permits Plus or Accela software used to track complaints and code enforcement activity.
5. Monitors performance of the sanitary service certificate holders by analyzing compliance with regulatory requirements specified in the Washington County Solid Waste Control Code and Administrative Rules.
6. Compiles, enters, and analyzes program data to prepare special reports on complaint and code enforcement activity. Prepares technical worksheets, tables, and computations and maintains the code enforcement database.
7. Coordinates the activities of the code enforcement program with other department partners including the Sheriff's Office, Land Use and Transportation, DEQ, Metro, and other community partners. Develops professional contacts and attends professional meetings and trainings and makes referrals to other county, regional, and state agencies where appropriate.
8. Acts as a subject matter expert on the following Washington County Codes: WCC 8.04 Solid Waste Control, 8.08 Disposal Facilities, 8.20 Nuisances, and 8.24 Noise.
9. Provides staff support to the Solid Waste Advisory Committee and coordinates public meetings as necessary.
10. Acts as a liaison between HHS Solid Waste & Recycling and other county departments and programs (Sheriff's Office, Land Use and Transportation, Housing, Clean Water Services, Metro, DEQ, and community groups.)
11. May exercise technical supervision over administrative support staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education and Experience
- An Associate's Degree in a social service, business administration, or related field; AND
- One (1) year of work experience in program administration, development, evaluation, or coordination, and /or contract administration; OR
- Three (3) years of work experience in program administration, development, evaluation, and/or contract administration.
Additional Licenses, Certificates, Physical Abilities and Specialty Requirements
- Positions in this classification may require the completion of a criminal history check in accordance with Oregon Administrative Rules.
Washington County organizes its positions into classifications. Classification descriptions are typically written broadly. To review the complete classification, please use this link: Program Specialist
Washington County is committed to using a Merit Based System in which recruiting, selecting, and advancing employees is based on their relative knowledge, skills, and abilities.
1. An evaluation of training and experience of submitted application packets will be performed by Human Resources. The timeframe to review will be the week of April 30, 2018.
2. Washington County will perform DMV records checks on candidates that successfully pass the HR Review in the selection process.
3. Our goal is to schedule oral panel interviews with candidates that successfully passed the DMV evaluation step as soon as possible.
Please note: candidates that are successful in the evaluation process may have their applications referred for additional vacancies in the same classification, or job family.
If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans' preference for this recruitment, please review instructions using this link: Click here. (Download PDF reader)
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act
Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in the selection process for this recruitment. To obtain confidential assistance, please contact Human Resources at 503-846-8606, or e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours before any step in the recruitment and selection process for which you feel you need accommodation.
Status of Your Application
You will be advised by e-mail of your status at each step in the application process, from initial application to final employment disposition.
Questions (?) Regarding This Recruitment
Tony Jenkins, Talent Acquisition Business Partner
* Washington County is a drug-free workplace *
Washington County, Oregon
Washington County Public Services Building
155 N First Avenue Ste. 270
Hillsboro, Oregon, 97124