Title: DeConstruction Services Assistant Manager (full-time, salary position)
Assist in managing and developing the successful operation of the DeConstruction Services Department’s efforts to safely and efficiently dismantle structures to maximize diversion of reusable building materials to the ReBuilding Center (RBC) for reuse, thereby supporting the social, environmental, and economic health of the region. As a nonprofit, the ReBuilding Center’s mission is to inspire people to discover and value existing resources to strengthen the social and environmental vitality of our communities.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Support the DeConstruction Services Department Manager by helping to identify issues, address challenges, develop plans, and implement changes using a team approach.
• Collaborate with the Department Manager to promote and facilitate a healthy, successful, cohesive, and resilient workplace.
• Facilitate and practice good communication within the DeConstruction (DeCon) Department. Provide the department with perspective and expertise to further organizational goals.
• Assist in answering phones and responding to inquiries/requests for DeConstruction Services. • Support the Dept. Manager in preparing and providing written and electronic quotes for DeConstruction Services. Meet with potential clients, assess scope of work, and provide estimates as appropriate.
• Collaborate with Dept. Manager and Project Crew Leader(s) to determine job schedule and staff members’ assignments to jobs.
• Assist the Dept. Manager in preparing, monitoring, and managing the department’s budget to achieve department and organizational goals.
• Maintain project database and records by keeping orderly files on all transactions.
• Be aware of job site hazards. Obtain environmental hazard reports. Provide reports to Dept. Manager and Project Crew Leader(s).
• As appropriate, work side-by-side with crew as a Crew Leader to hand-deconstruct building structures, including: surface salvage, structural and nonstructural disassembly of interior and exterior building surfaces and framing; handle recycling and waste materials; prepare and load salvaged product.
• Further the development of DeCon staff members by being accessible and promoting open communication, by providing constructive feedback, training opportunities and access to resources, and by participating in related industry events.
• Assist in assuring that all DeCon staff members have necessary and required training, tools, and equipment to safely perform their job duties.
• Participate in DeCon hiring and departure processes as requested by Dept. Manager.
• Provide input and perspective for DeConstruction staff performance reviews. • Participate in department meetings and other meetings as assigned. Plan and facilitate DeCon Department meetings in the Dept. Manager’s absence.
• Uphold quality assurance for DeCon operations by helping define standards. Provide guidance for job criteria, practices, client satisfaction and others.
• Promote and contribute to a healthy and safe work environment by adhering to written and verbal procedures, rules, regulations and policy handbook guidelines.
• Ensure that all department operations are in compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Take appropriate corrective action when or if any are in violation.
• Promote and demonstrate solution-based approaches to workplace challenges.
• Maintain and enhance professional and technical knowledge related to DeCon operations by participating in educational and training opportunities, reviewing professional publications, and establishing personal networks.
• Promote and maintain clear communication channels among various RBC departments and personnel.
• Complete all related tasks and duties as needed to achieve the mission and goals of RBC.
• A minimum of five years’ experience in construction industry and a thorough understanding and knowledge of construction methods, practices, rules, and regulations.
• A minimum of three years’ experience in effective supervision of six or more staff.
• Intuitive understanding of value-based management.
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and supervision in team-oriented work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of a medium-sized department, including personnel, strategic planning, budgeting, administrative requirements, etc.
• Demonstrate sincere enthusiasm for diverting C&D waste for reuse to benefit the environment and community.
• Demonstrate tact in addressing or defusing incidents in the workplace in a timely manner.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated computer skills and experience.
• Enjoy working with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills.
• Deep commitment and passion for the principals of sustainability.
• Commitment to community building.
• Demonstrate grace and humor under pressure.
• Enjoy working outdoors in all seasons.
• Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record. Pluses:
• Bi-lingual Spanish/English
• Reside in inner North/Northeast Portland
Compensation: This is a full-time, salary position. Compensation will be based on experience. Employees are eligible for paid holiday, sick, and vacation leave; retirement benefits; and life and health insurance benefits. Employee discount offered for purchases of used building materials.
A completed ReBuilding Center application form is required. The link to the form is http://www.rebuildingcenter.org/careers. Cover letter and resume are optional. To submit (no drop-ins or phone calls, please): 1. Preferred: Fill out and submit the online application form. You can also attach your resume and cover letter (optional) along with the application; OR 2. Email a completed PDF application form to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “DeConstruction Manager” in the subject line. You can also attach your resume and cover letter (optional) along with the application; OR 3. Completed applications may be mailed to: ReBuilding Center ATTN: Assistant Manager Position, 3625 N. Mississippi Ave., Portland, OR 97227; OR 4. Application materials may be faxed to: 503-331-1873. Deadline: Apply as soon as possible. Open until filled. The ReBuilding Center is committed to workforce diversity. For more information, please see http://www.rebuildingcenter.org/deconstruction-services