SCRAP Reuse Supply Coordinator
SCRAP PDX is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our mission is to inspire creative reuse and environmentally sustainable behavior by providing educational programs and affordable materials to the community. For over 16 years, we have been a resource to the Portland Metro region by providing an outlet for creative materials to be donated instead of discarded and making those items available for reuse.
We are currently seeking a Reuse Supply Coordinator to join our busy SCRAP PDX team. If you are a go-getter with a passion for sustainability, can keep pace with multiple duties and responsibilities, prioritize customer service and have an innate sense for what needs to be done, this job’s for you! The ideal candidate will have a can-do attitude and know how to take initiative to complete objectives, collaborate with a variety of personalities and be able to prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities. Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must, along with attention to detail and the ability to learn new processes and systems. Previous experience in reuse/environmental work, customer service and retail, leadership/supervising teams, working with point-of-sale systems, and a strong knowledge of the reuse and recycling industry is strongly preferred.
Health Benefits (with 50% employee contribution)
Paid Time Off
Monthly craft allowance of $25 which expires - at the end of each month.
Reports to Director of SCRAP PDX
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the overall retail operations and the supply of creative reuse materials to the customer base, while providing excellent customer service in a welcoming environment. This position will serve as the point person for reuse supply staff and set priorities based on the needs of the store. The Reuse Supply Coordinator will work closely with the Recovery & Donations Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that all organizational needs are reached.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
RETAIL OPERATIONS: Maintains a customer-focused perspective with the goals of increasing store sales; store design, display and layout; reused inventory pricing; training and supervision of volunteers; project sales and assist in the budgeting process; maintain and communicate accepted items needed in the store; ensures consistency of promotions and marketing at the register and throughout store; performs (or supervises the performance of) a variety of retail-related duties, operating the cash register, balancing cash drawer, making bank deposits, recording statistics, and answering store phone inquiries.
STAFF LEADERSHIP: Assists in selection of the Reuse Supply staff with Director; trains and supervises personnel in Reuse Supply operations; acts as the point person for specialists working in the store/reuse supply area; works with the Leadership Team to schedule staffing to meet retail store needs; maintains a positive and productive culture in the store and materials recovery area; serves as a peer leader among the team and sets expectations and priorities for staff; and offers creative advice as requested.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Communicates effectively to all stakeholders; ensures customers and donors are greeted in a professional, warm and helpful manner; positively represents SCRAP at all times with all stakeholders; carries and communicates the values of our nonprofit organization related to communications with a variety of stakeholders
WORKING CONDITIONS: Lifting up to 32.5 lbs. frequently and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.; bending, stooping and climbing; standing and walking for the duration of the shift; working in hot and cold climates.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL SCRAP STAFF: Work as part of a team with other staff, programs, volunteers and Board of Directors to fulfill SCRAP’s mission; communicate effectively and focus on good stakeholder relations; greet stakeholders professionally, warmly and helpfully; stay current with the environmental services community and sources of information and referral for callers and customers; stay current with developments in recycling and reuse, including legislation and availability of recyclable materials markets; when necessary, say “no” tactfully and suggest other community resources to appropriately meet donors’ needs; and with other staff, acts as an Ambassador for SCRAP in the community.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with SCRAP's mission and resources in the community
- Team leadership experience, including giving direction, project management and scheduling
- Proven ability to lead and coordinate simultaneous projects
- Ability to work cohesively with a team and also independently with strong initiative and proactive involvement
- Non-profit based work or volunteering experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to deliver clear, concise information to customers, volunteers and staff
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and organized, ensuring quality and consistent output.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs or Google apps
- Ability to effectively solve problems, make decisions and take action, exercising solid independent judgment
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude and work independently with little guidance in a fast paced, changing environment
- Knowledge of art, craft and related items
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Four-year college or university degree preferred or equivalent education and/or experience
- Experience with customer service, retail sales, merchandising, point-of-sale systems, staff scheduling
- Must be outgoing and willing to interact with customers, donors and volunteers in a positive manner
- Good leadership skills with previous project and/or team management.
- Strong work ethic and good moral judgement.
SCRAP does not discriminate in opportunities or practices because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. SCRAP is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color and diverse backgrounds.
Salary: Hourly rate depending on experience
If you are interested in joining the creative and fun SCRAP PDX team, please email cover letter (as a separate attachment), resume and 3 references, which must include a former manager or supervisor, to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled by the right team member. No phone calls. Only electronic submissions meeting the above specifications will be accepted.