COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAM
OF THE REBUILDING CENTER
NOW HIRING: COMMUNITY OUTREACH ORGANIZER
Community Outreach Program of the ReBuilding Center provides free tools and resources to individuals and organizations working to achieve equitable, more vibrant and resilient communities. We strive to strengthen the capacity of local, grassroots projects in their efforts to effect and sustain positive change in N/NE Portland.
If you are searching for an opportunity to work in a collaborative, values-based work environment where the mission drives decision-making; where employees are committed to being the change they wish to see in the world; where building relationships matter; and can illustrate how your passion and qualifications are a great fit for Community Outreach Organizer, we encourage you to apply today!
The Outreach Organizer will implement skills and experience in leadership and support to: Orient individuals and organizations to ReBuilding Center resources and services; convene community stakeholders to explore project ideas; facilitate discussions with project teams to produce strategic directions; facilitate development and success of project ideas including needs assessment, linkage to resources, evaluation and story-sharing.
Our ideal candidate is someone who demonstrates skills in intercultural communication, dynamic facilitation, engaging outreach strategies, process planning and program evaluation, and creative problem-solving. With enthusiasm, this person will embrace the value of creating an equitable society, working respectfully within diverse communities.
This hourly position is 32 hours per week, Tuesday through Friday, and will be supervised by the Community Outreach Program Manager.
Job Purpose: To work in collaboration with Program Manager, Executive Director and volunteers to achieve program goals in alignment with the vision and mission of the ReBuilding Center. The Outreach Organizer will actively participate in convening and facilitating community project teams. The Community Outreach Organizer will have a leadership role in the development and implementation of strategic outreach and engagement strategies.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties:
Outreach & Community Engagement
- Identify strategies to engage unrepresented populations in Community Outreach activities
- Research existing community resources, build relationships
- Facilitate equitable outreach to discover, engage and showcase local grassroots projects that strengthen the social vitality of communities
- Participate in networking and public speaking opportunities
- Collaborate with co-workers on creation of outreach materials (brochures, flyers, presentations)
- Coordinate convening of community groups related to program focus
- Support facilitation of processes for project development and success
- Document outreach and engagement activities
- Work with Volunteer Manager to cultivate, recruit and nurture volunteers for Community Outreach Program
- Work with the Community Outreach Advisory Board to achieve program goals
- Meet 1:1 with Community Outreach Manager twice a month
- Participate in weekly department meetings
- Contribute to a monthly board report
- Carry out all other related duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills & Expectations (should meet the following criteria):
- Demonstrated experience in grassroots outreach and organizing
- High level of diplomacy
- Experience in public speaking and presentations
- Ability to work in a team-orientated work environment
- Knowledge of community resources
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite (design skills a plus)
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, ability to interact positively with people from all backgrounds including racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, social, and economic backgrounds
- Active listening and strong analytical skills
- Great writing skills – creative and clear communications
- Self-motivated – initiative to work independently with reliability
- Ability to work in a multi-task environment
- Creative and flexible approaches to problem-solving
- Ability to put politics aside in the workplace
- Commitment to foster positive relationships with co-workers and community at large
- Flexible schedule, including some evening hours and occasional weekends
- Grace and humor under pressure
- Patience and flexibility
- Value and respect for all people
- Ability to sustain a positive attitude in challenging social settings
- Desire to perform selfless work in the community’s interest
- Reside in inner North/Northeast Portland
- Bi-lingual – Spanish or other languages
- Training and experience in conflict resolution
- Experience with project management databases or programs
- Ability to assist with set-up and break-down at events sponsored by Community Outreach
Education or Equivalent Hands-On Experience:
- High School Degree +
- Minimum three years of experience in community outreach, organizing, development and/or other related field
- Knowledge and experience in group facilitation
Compensation & Benefits: $15-20/hour, based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits, including full medical and dental after 60 days of employment. Paid vacation, sick leave, EAP, 401K, and more.
Application process and deadline: April 15, 2016. Please email your resume, three professional references, cover letter and wage/salary history email@example.com with “Community Outreach Organizer” in the subject line. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
ReBuilding Center places a high value on diversity with a strong commitment to achieving a diverse workplace.