The Bicycle Transportation Alliance Development Associate
Location: Portland Metro
Closing Date: open until filled
Industry: Fundraising, Marketing, Nonprofit
Type: Full Time
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance (soon to be The Street Trust) is a non-profit organization working to promote bicycling, walking and transit. Since 1990, we have worked in partnership with citizens, businesses, community groups, government agencies, and elected officials to create communities where people can meet their daily transportation needs through biking, walking and taking transit. We are currently expanding our mission and re-branding as The Street Trust. Our new name and brand go live on January 1, 2017.
This transition allows us to formalize the work we’ve been doing for years to make streets and neighborhoods safer. We will work with community partners, allies, old and new friends to shape our strategic plan and vision for the future.
We are a small but mighty group of passionate advocates, who work hard to win big victories for our communities. We are looking for an energetic and motivated individual to join our development team to help build The Street Trust. This is an exciting opportunity to both be part of an established nonprofit with decades of experience, as well as a new organization looking to define itself. Join us!
The Development Associate will join our development team, working closely with the staff to develop and execute an annual fundraising and marketing plan to meet or exceed our fundraising goals. Come join a dedicated, fun team and help build a newly expanded organization. The position will supervise interns.
• Design and develop membership programs to help us meet our bold goal of a 10K member base within the next 3 years.
• Manage individual and business membership and donor acknowledgements and fulfillment processes.
• Assist Major Gifts Officer and Development Director in pipeline management.
• Coordinate regular membership and donor surveys to help us better understand our constituents needs and target our fundraising
• Maintain donor communications platforms, including website and donation forms, defining a positive user experience.
• Working with the development team, assist in executing regular membership drives to encourage new support for The Street Trust.
• Coordinate Membership Benefits portfolio, managing current list and prospecting for new partnerships to be added to our Chinook Book list.
• Execute sponsorship fulfillment and post-event recap plans.
• Manage regular workplace giving campaigns, re-affiliation, and strategies to increase gifts.
• Coordinate regular phone banks and volunteer nights, working with programs and advocacy staff.
• Serve as point person for incoming customer service requests.
• Maintain and manage comprehensive donor records in our Salesforce database.
• Coordinate with our finance staff in regular donation and record reconciliation.
• Attend best practices trainings and workshops as appropriate.
• Act as lead for the new volunteer management system.
• Other duties as assigned.
Ability to effectively and powerfully deliver core messages to constituency and prospects to cultivate and secure gifts of all sizes to help The Street Trust meet our strategic goals. Design creative ways to engage our enthusiastic membership base and recruit new members to join us.
Marketing and Brand Implementation
Work with Communications Director to engage staff, board, and members to build a strong message and voice for The Street Trust.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with diverse community populations and are expected to strengthen such capacity if hired.
Job Skills Required:
• Experience in donor communications and/or customer service
• Ability to interact with a diverse selection of constituents and partners.
• Must have good people, partnering, and collaboration skills.
• Ability to work with an enthusiastic team, and contribute new ideas.
• Ability to develop creative solutions that meet the requirements of the team
• Experience with Salesforce preferred, but not required.
• Very high attention to detail, including accuracy and efficiency.
• Excellent time management skills, including ability to balance multiple (and sometimes competing) priorities. Ability to meet multiple deadlines.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Good verbal and written communication.
• Self-starter with ability to improve systems.
• Integrity, honesty, professionalism and accountability are fundamental to the position.
• Desired/Bonus – Desire to develop innovative, entrepreneurial novel programs to bring new revenue streams and insights to the development team and overall organization.
● Previous work or volunteer experience in development, marketing, public relations, customer service, or communications
● Ability to use technology to achieve goals, including experience with complex CRM databases; social marketing sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; and other tools to engage various demographic populations.
● Knowledge of Macintosh OS, Google Apps, and Microsoft Office suite is strongly desired.
● Knowledge and experience with Word Press encouraged but not required.
● Experience in membership-based organizations and/or campaigns preferred.
The BTA is an equal opportunity employer. We believe strongly that relevant experiences are better indicators of performance than educational degrees. All employees must be team oriented. We love people who bicycle, but do not hire based on how people get to work but on how they will suit the position and skill set we seek. We do expect that our employees embrace our mission and vision for healthy and thriving communities where it is safe and easy for people to bike, walk and ride public transit.
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The organization is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. The organization is committed to racial equity across the organization: in our service to stakeholders, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our organizational culture. While still seeking to improve our demonstration of this commitment, candidates should know that racial equity is a cornerstone of our commitment to all communities in the region.
Submit resume and cover letter describing your skills, professional goals, and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. The resume and cover letter should describe how the candidate demonstrates meeting the minimum requirements. Please put “Development Associate” in the subject line. No faxes or phone calls please. We will interview on a rolling basis, but hope to conclude our search by mid-December for a January 9, 2017 start date. This date is flexible for the right candidate.