Founded in 1974, Oregon Wild is a non-profit conservation organization with a history of accomplishment. Our victories include safeguarding over 1.7 million acres of Wilderness and 1,800 miles of Wild & Scenic Rivers through federal legislation, legal victories that have protected hundreds of thousands of acres of old-growth forests and preserved critical wetland habitat, and the preservation of numerous endangered species, from Coho salmon to northern spotted owls. Oregon Wild enjoys a national reputation as a pioneering organization that is both highly strategic and effective, with strong policy expertise.
The Membership and Event Manager supports the Development Director and Executive Director with essential functions of all aspects of the organization’s development efforts. Most notably, the Membership and Event Manager will spearhead efforts to grow Oregon Wild membership and play a lead role in the coordination of the annual Call of the Wild event.
Oregon Wild relies on individual donors to provide both the financial resources and the citizen support necessary to fulfill our conservation mission. This position will help craft strategic plans and tactics for membership growth in collaboration with the Development Director and other relevant staff. The staff member in this position will be encouraged to think creatively about ways to grow the Oregon Wild membership base and to evaluate the effectiveness of membership growth strategies and tactics that have been implemented.
The Membership and Event Manager will play a key role in communicating to Oregon Wild members and prospective members via offline and online communications tools. They will play a key role in securing these funds, growing our membership base, and deepening these donors’ engagement with the organization. This position is also in charge of the day-to-day management of memberships, acknowledgements, renewals, database entry, etc.
The Membership and Event Manager must be customer service focused in their interactions with Oregon Wild supporters, as well as a passionate messenger for the organizational mission. The position involves database management, gift processing, direct mail fundraising, donor communication, mass e-mail communication, and potentially some website maintenance.
- Work with the Development Director to craft creative new membership growth strategies, implement those strategies, and evaluate their effectiveness
- Manage database including donation entries, updating donor records, etc.
- Generate gift and pledge acknowledgments for all individual gifts (assist with foundation and corporate acknowledgments)
- Assist with solicitation and other follow-up calls to individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Work with Development Director and Community Engagement Representative to solicit renewal gifts via telephone outreach
- Generate and mail membership renewal letters on a monthly basis
- Assist with all direct mail campaigns as needed
- Assist with coordinating workplace giving programs
- ssist with additional development projects and other duties as assigned
Event Coordination (20%)
- Serve as the primary coordinator for annual Call of the Wild event in October, which is a camp-inspired benefit event featuring an auction, the unveiling of the winners of our annual Outdoor Photo Contest, food, drink, live music, and other entertainment
- Recruit business sponsors for Call of the Wild
- Secure donations for the auction by reaching out to local businesses
- Execute a promotion strategy to sell tickets to the event and to reach the goals that are collaboratively developed with the Development Director and Executive Director
- Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers for the event
- Assist Development Director in coordinating Oregon Wild board members to help acquire auction donations, event sponsors, and to serve as volunteers the day of the event
- Work with Development Director, Executive Director, staff, and volunteers to provide event support for large scale fundraising events including our annual Call of the Wild event
- Work with other staff to provide the appropriate acknowledgement and recognition for all sponsors
- Other duties as assigned
- A passion for protecting and restoring Oregon’s wildlands, wildlife, and waters
- Strong computer skills, especially in Excel and Word
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with donor database software (preference for experience with Salesforce)
- A pleasant demeanor with customer service focus for interacting with internal and external stakeholders.
- Desired experience in CRM software.
- Ability to be flexible with assignments/priorities reflecting changing needs of department
- Ability to implement tasks with minimal oversight
- Willingness to follow through on tasks and ensure completion
How to Apply
This is a full time, exempt position that includes benefits. Some evening and weekend hours will be required. The salary range for this position is $32,000 to $40,000, depending on experience. Benefits include paid health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan option, generous vacation, and other paid time off.
Applications must be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references consolidated into a single PDF or Word document. Please use the subject line: “Membership and Event Manager.” Review of completed applications will begin on September 28, 2015.