OPAL Environmental Justice Oregon builds power for environmental justice and civil rights in our communities. We organize low-income communities and people of color to achieve a safe and healthy environment where we live, work, play and pray, and work to create opportunities for meaningful participation in decision making.
We are seeking a leader who will, through strong intersectional collaboration and analysis, design and manage campaigns, secure sustainable funding, lead a diverse team of staff and members, and continue to grow our movement. Ideal candidates will have experience working within an Environmental Justice framework.
We seek a candidate who shares our vision and values:
• Environmental Justice unites Racial, Economic, and Social Justice
• We are accountable to communities of color and low-income communities
• Organized communities can make real change
• A community that speaks for itself can best protect itself
• The very act of acquiring power is potentially confrontational
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall administration, management and leadership for OPAL Environmental Justice Oregon, and works with the board to develop the strategic vision, plans, and budget for the organization.
Salary commensurate with experience and is competitive with grassroots nonprofit organizations in the Portland metro region. OPAL offers a strong benefits package, including an annual public transit pass. Please email your cover letter and resume, with three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Executive Director Position” in the subject line. Please let us know in your cover letter how your background and work experience qualifies you to lead OPAL. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. For full consideration, please submit by 10/1/15.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR KEY DUTIES
• Strategic Vision and Program Development
• Develop clear strategies for implementing the mission of OPAL in consultation with the Board of Directors, staff and members
• Manage the development, implementation and assessment of OPAL’s strategic plan with input from the Board, staff, members, and allies
• Work with staff to ensure organization develops and implements viable annual work and campaign plans that advance the strategic plan
• Serve as spokesperson and be able to communicate OPAL’s messages Fundraising and Development Fundraising and Development
• Create, implement and manage OPAL’s fundraising plan
• Ensure the organization’s long-term fiscal health and viability
• Serve as the primary liaison with foundations and individual donors Staff Management
• Recruit, develop, train, support and lead an effective staff team
• Maintain a culture that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff, team and volunteer and membership base Organizational and Financial Management
• Ensure OPAL is in compliance with all operational requirements and that it has the necessary systems and resources for effective operation
• Oversee the organization’s overall financial position and, monitor the organization’s finances and operations in relation to the approved budget Board Development
• Recruit, develop and support an effective, diverse and committed Board of Directors
OPAL is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBT people are encouraged to apply.