ABOUT ZENGER FARM
At Zenger Farm, we are guided by a vision of a healthy, resilient community, where the wellbeing and prosperity of children and adults is enhanced through access to affordable, plentiful and nourishing foods. We believe nourishment is a basic human right. We’re a working farm in the heart of the city that models, promotes and educates about sustainable food systems, environmental stewardship, and community development, so that we may all be well fed.
A nationally recognized urban educational farm, we host 9,000 visitors annually who learn the importance of eating fresh food grown close to home. We offer youth field trips, farm camps, healthy eating workshops, community chef and farmer training programs, Portland’s only international focused farmers market, one of Oregon’s first Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs to accept SNAP (formerly Food Stamps), and the country’s first Prescription CSA programs. This spring, after successfully completing a $2.3 million dollar capital campaign, we opened the doors to the Urban Grange at Zenger Farm, a classroom, workspace and community kitchen that will serve as Portland’s first community hub for healthy food and farming. We nourish Portlanders, provide families with the tools they need to lead healthy lives, and remove institutionalized barriers to wellness.
This position contributes to the mission of the organization by: providing customer service to program participants, Zenger Farm staff and volunteers and administrative support to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Act as the point person for scheduling and invoicing of Zenger Farm programs including: field trips, camps, workshops, events, CSA, Zenger Farm’s commercial kitchen and restaurant accounts
• Provide excellent customer service in all contacts with Zenger Farm staff, volunteers, donors, colleagues, and to the public
• Answer the Zenger Farm phone during business hours, provide customer service as able, distribute calls to appropriate staff, take and distribute messages
• Maintain the email@example.com email account and organize and distribute physical mail
• Interface with Zenger Farm staff in order to understand volunteer needs, recruit and support volunteers.
• Orient program participants to Zenger Farm policies and provide follow up as necessary
• Provide clerical support, including email correspondence, phoning, faxing, photocopying, filing, data entry, and assisting with preparation of reports or proposals
• Ensure participants complete program quality surveys
• Weekly update Farm activities board
• Review and provide edits to documents as needed
• Maintain an inventory of all disposable goods (office supplies, toilet paper, coffee, etc.) to ensure timely restocking
Additional Administrative Support
• Provide support as requested for the Executive Director
• Write, edit and distribute minutes for various staff and board meetings
• Facilitate technology set up for various meetings and events
• Participate as a team player in overall operations and planning while providing additional organizational support as needed.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Two years of college or technical school training preferred.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Two years of experience in an office setting, performing clerical support procedures.
• Volunteer management experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong administrative and office skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills; must be a team player.
• Ability to plan, organize, and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
• Detail oriented and flexible.
• Strong writing/editing skills.
• Commitment to Zenger Farm mission statement.
• Typing speed approximately 50 words per minute.
• Ability to operate well in a fast-paced work environment.
• Ability to work flexible schedule and weekends for events, special projects, or emergencies.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Fluency (spoken/written) in foreign language preferred (Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Russian)
• Must have the ability to consistently communicate professionally and effectively with all coworkers and constituents.
Computer Standard Office Software
Word 2010 Intermediate, Excel 2010 Intermediate, Power Point Basic, Salesforce, Adobe Basic
Microsoft Outlook, Internet Intermediate
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
We strive to create a dynamic, supportive and flexible work environment that will allow each
employee to realize their potential. This is a full-time position located in Portland, OR.
Hourly pay for the position will be $13.00-$14.50 per hour, depending on experience. Benefits include 100% medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and a retirement matching program.
To be considered for this opportunity, please email a letter of interest and resume titled Program Assistant to Mike Wenrick firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
Zenger Farm provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, in accordance with applicable federal laws.
Hourly, $13.00-$14.50 per hour