SCRAP is a unique resource in the Portland Metro area. We take donations of clean, reusable creative materials and make them available to teachers, artists, parents, kids, crafters, everyone! We have a creative reuse center at 1736 SW Alder St and an education studio at 2808 NE MLK Jr. Blvd, Suite J. If you have passion for reuse for the planet, education for the next generation and making creativity accessible for all – this may be a perfect fit for you. More about SCRAP can be found at http://scrappdx.org.
SCRAP was started in Portland by visionary school teachers in 1999. They hated to see the leftover materials from class projects go to waste. They started leaving useable project materials on a table for other teachers to access for their own classrooms, and SCRAP was born. We have grown from that modest table at A Teacher’s Space to a network of 9 creative reuse resources around the country. SCRAP PDX has just relocated to a new 10,000 square foot flagship location. With a small staff and a growing team of volunteers, we run a lean and mean operation. We have a local annual operating budget of $570,000. What SCRAP Does:
• Operates a large creative reuse materials store operation supported by employees and volunteers.
• Provides workshops, youth programs, and other educational events at two locations.
• Hosts fundraising and awareness raising events including our annual Rebel Craft Rumble
The Director of Operations provides onsite leadership that will best serve the needs of SCRAP and the growing reuse community of Portland. The Director oversees operations, community outreach and local fundraising. S/he cultivates relationships with local stakeholders and participates with staff in community engagement as the primary SCRAP Ambassador. The Director is responsible for managing the Portland staff and operational functions in Portland.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a strategic leader who is passionate about our mission and prepared to drive growth for our organization. We seek someone who is enthusiastic, engaged with the community and has proven success in developing strong collaborative teams and partnerships. We need an articulate communicator, positive problem-solver and experienced fundraiser. We seek a leader who has a record of setting ambitious goals and accomplishing them through community engagement and strategic partnerships.
Characteristics and skill set should include:
• Exceptional staff management skills; ability to lead and motivate others effectively
• Integrated community engagement; stakeholder relationship building through development, volunteerism, marketing and education
• Enthusiasm for the mission and the potential of a nationwide network
• Enjoying community engagement at all levels; public speaking, corporate partnership development, stakeholder communications and professional engagement
• Nonprofit experience is highly valued
• Retail operations experience is a plus
Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing how your past experience, skills and connection to our mission make you an excellent fit for the Director of Operations position at SCRAP. Please include the names and contact information for four references including two people to whom you directly reported. Email to: Kelley Carmichael Casey at email@example.com with “PDX Director of Operations” in the subject line by 5pm PDT Friday, July 31, 2015. No phone calls, please. No paper applications will be accepted.
SCRAP does not discriminate in opportunities or practices because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law.
$45,000 - $50,000 DOE